Resume of Professor Virgil Percec
P. Roy Vagelos Professor of Chemistry
Roy & Diana Vagelos Laboratories
Department of Chemistry
University of Pennsylvania
231 S 34th St
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323
Phone: 215-573-5527; Fax: 215-573-7888
- B.S. 1969 Department of Organic and Macromolecular Chemistry, Polytechnic Institute of Jassy, Romania
- Ph.D. 1976 Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Jassy, Romania
- Postdoctoral July-August 1981 Hermann Staudinger Hause, University of Freiburg, Germany
- Postdoctoral September 1981 - March 1982 Institute of Polymer Science, University of Akron, U.S.A.
- 1977-1980 Research Associate, Senior Research Associate, Adj. Assistant Professor: Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry and Polytechnic Institute, Jassy, Romania
- 1982-83 Assistant Professor, Department of Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- 1984-85 Associate Professor, Department of Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- 1986-93 Professor of Macromolecular Science, Department of Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- 1993-99 Leonard Case Jr. Chair and Professor of Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- 1999- P. Roy Vagelos Chair and Professor of Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany (June-August 1984, March 1985, June 1987)
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (August 1987)
- Royal Society of Chemistry, U. K. and British Society of Liquid Crystals (April 1989)
- Max Planck Institute for Polymers, Mainz, Germany (June 1989, 1991, 1998)
- Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (May 1990, December 1999, May 2005)
- University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany (March 1994, 1998)
- Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, since 1996.
Member of Editorial Boards of:
- Polymer Bulletin, 1981-
- Journal of Polymer Science, Polym. Chem. Ed., 1986-
- Macromolecular Syntheses, 1988-1992
- Macromolecular Reports, 1989-2002
- Journal of Macromolecular Science-Pure Appl. Chem., 1990-2002
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, 1990-1996
- Macromolecules, 1990-1993
- Chemtracts: Macromolecular Chemistry, 1991-1993
- Progress in Polymer Science, 1992-
- Die Makromolekulare Chemie, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 1993-
- Die Makromolekulare Chemie, Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 1993-
- Chemistry of Materials, 1997-2000
- Revue Roumaine de Chemie, 1998-
- Biomacromolecules, 1999-
- Quarterly Review, 1999-
- e-Polymers, 2001-
- Revista de Chimie (Bucharest), 2003-
- Journal of Nanostructured Polymers and Nanocomposites, 2005-
- Chemical Reviews, 2005-
- Polymer International, 2006-
- American Chemical Society
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry;
- National Science Foundation Research Award for Creativity in Research 1990, 1995, 2000.
- National Science Council (Taiwan), March 1991.
- Honorary Foreign Member of the Romanian Academy 1993.
- Humboldt Research Award for Senior U.S. Scientists, 1997.
- Fellow of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 2001.
- PTN Polymer Award from the Netherlands, 2002.
- Fellow of the PMSE Division of ACS, 2003.
- ACS Award in Polymer Chemistry 2004.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2004.
- Staudinger-Durrer Medal, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland, 2005.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Polytechnic University, Iasi, Romania, 2007
- Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Athens, Athens, Greece, 2007
- International Award of the Society of Polymer Science, Japan, 2007
- Herman F. Mark Medal from the Austrian Research Institute for Chemistry and Technology, 2008
Endowed Lectures (Selected Examples out of 1,000 Invited Plenary and Endowed Lectures)
- Raychem Lecturer, Chemistry Department, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1996.
- The 4th Aggarwal Lecturer in Polymer Science, Chemistry Department, Cornell University,NY, May 19-21, 1997.
- The 9th Annual Milkovich Memorial Lecturer in Polymer Science, University of Akron, OH, October 22-23, 1997.
- Organic Synthesis Lecturer, Colorado State University, CO, 2002.
- Woodward Lecturer "Frontiers in Chemical Sciences", Harvard University, MA, 2004.
- The 7th Annual Rohm and Haas Lecturer in Polymer Chemistry, University of California Berkeley, CA, 2005.
- The Staundinger-Durrer Lecturer, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland, 2005.
- The Charles William Murtiashaw II Lecturer, University of South Carolina, December 1, 2006.
- Foster Chemistry Lecture, SUNY, Buffalo, NY, 2006.
- Distinguished Lecturer, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 2007.
- New Journal of Chemistry Endowed Plenary lecture at ID55 - Bordeaux, France 2007
- Whitby Lecturer, University of Akron, 2008
- Lecturer of the Organic Chemistry Division of the Conference Universitaire de Suisse Occidentale, 2008
Chair and Member of National and International Committees (selected examples)
- International Symposium on New Polymerization Reactions and Reaction Mechanisms, Atlanta, April 14-19, 1991 (Chair)
- Polymer Science and Engineering. The Shifting Research Frontier Workshop, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., March 26-27, 1992.
- International Symposium on New Macromolecular Architecture and Supramolecular Polymers, Denver, March 28-April 2, 1993 (Chair)
- European Polymer Federation Workshop on "Molecular Engineering of Side Chain Liquid Crystalline Polymers," Yverdon-les-Baines, Switzerland, June 9-11, 1993 (Chair)
- The Sixth Bilateral US-Japan Seminar on Polymer Synthesis, Santa Rosa, CA, November 6-12, 1993 (Chair)
- 35th IUPAC International Symposium on Macromolecules, Akron, July 11-15, 1994 (Chair)
- Executive Committee, Division of Macromolecular Chemistry, IUPAC.
- IUPAC Commission on Polymer Characterization and Properties.
- IUPAC Working Party on Polymer Liquid Crystals.
- International Advisory Committee of the IUPAC International Symposium on Functional and High Performance Polymers, Taipei, Taiwan, November 14-16, 1994.
- NSF Workshop on Macromolecular Science and Engineering, Washington D.C., May 14-15, 1997.
- First European Gordon Research Conference on Polymers, Chantilly, France, June 29-July 4, 1997 (Chair)
- Gordon Research Conference on Polymers, Henniker, NH, June 14-19, 1998 (Chair)
- International Symposium, "Synthesis of Novel Polymeric Materials," Anaheim, March 21-25, 1999 (Chair)
- International Symposium, "Precision Polymerizations and Controlled Supramolecular Architectures" Honolulu, Hawaii, December 14-19, 2000 (Chair)
- Scientific Committee, 18th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Sendai, Japan, July 24-28, 2000.
- Scientific Committee, Europolymer Conference, Regular Macromolecular Structures Based on the Controlled Polymerization Processes, Gargnano, Italy, May 23-28, 1999.
- 36th International IUPAC Symposium on Macromolecules "World Polymer Congress" Warsaw-Lodz, Poland, July 9-14, 2000.
- Pacifichem 2000, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 14-19, 2000 (Chair)
- International Symposium Life Sciences and Materials, Italy (1999) and US (2001) (Chair)
- 40th International IUPAC Symposium on Macromolecules "World Polymer Congress" 2004, Paris, France
- 41st International IUPAC Symposium on Macromolecules "World Polymer Congress" 2006, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- 43rd IUPAC World Polymer Congress, Macro 2010, Glasgow, UK, 11-16 July, 2010
- Materials Research Group on LCP Sponsored by the National Science Foundation at CWRU, 1991-1998.
Faculty Awards from Private Foundations
- Asahi Chemical Co. (Japan)
- Unitika (Japan)
- Bausch and Lomb
- Toagosei (Japan)
- Bayer (Germany)
- BASF (Germany)
- BP (UK)
- Hercules Foundation
- Hoechst (Germany)
- Rohm and Haas
- Kaneka (Japan)
- Japan Synthetic Rubber Co. (Japan)
- Kao Foundation (Japan)
- W.M. Keck Foundation